Sunday, December 2, 2012

Some Kind of Wonderful

Sometimes it's hard trying to find just the right Christmas gift in the shops, especially if you are looking for something out of the ordinary. We all seem to have so much stuff these days and unless I come across something that is just perfect I am loath to buy just for the sake of it. I suppose that's what I love most about giving hand-made gifts. It certainly takes more effort, but you can't go past the pleasure and enjoyment of planning and making, and hoping your offering will be enjoyed.

But with all this gift-making to do it really does pay to have a few good resources up your sleeve (that's my excuse). I picked up Anni Downs' Some Kind of Wonderful project book at the Sydney Quilt and Craft Fair last year. This one really is kind of wonderful, and it has lots of useful gifty-type things that I seem to come back to time and time again. 


 It is now Day Two of the Christmas month and for my next trick I have turned my hand to making this handy little sewing bag for one of my quilty friends.


I decided to forgo the pieced and embroidered version, but used the pattern dimensions and rummaged out these classic burgundy and grey fabrics that I collected on a trip to the NSW Hunter Valley earlier in the year.


Construction in progress - adding the linings   

So after my first coffee of the day and a leisurely Sunday breakfast of bacon and eggs, I spent the rest of the morning stitching at the machine. This was followed by a relaxing afternoon catching the cool breeze and the welcome smell of rain from my sewing room window while hand sewing all the lining pieces into place.

Finished Case - Front

Working out the finishing touches took a bit of playing around. There were buttons and hexagon papers on hand, but trying to decide what sort of embellishment would work best was exhausting. [Insert short nap time here.] In the end I found a FQ of fabric printed with vintage French sewing notions and pretty labels. This was teamed with a piece wool felt, and and hand-stitched to the front of the bag.

Finished Case - Back

The little hexagon flower was saved for the back. Tres chic methinks! Now to whip up a pincushion and needlecase to match. But that will have to wait until tomorrow ...

Evie


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave me a comment, (just a line or two will do), then I will get back to you, and that would be like having a bit of a chat (and that's always nice). :)